Bitcoin is the most widely used form of digital currency in the world. It is a kind of currency that is controlled and put away altogether by high-tech PCs spread over the Internet. More individuals and organizations are starting to use this currency.
Unlike a plain U.S. dollar or Euro, bitcoin is a type of payment system, much like Paypal. (Learn how to buy Bitcoin from PayPal in two minutes)
You can hold on to it, spend it or exchange it. It can be moved around as efficiently and effortlessly as sending an email.
For those seeking information on how to make online transactions anonymously, Bitcoin is the perfect answer. Bitcoin allows its users complete anonymity to make transactions and leaves behind no traces of personal information.
Down below, we have discussed some important points as to how Bitcoin makes a complete sense and whether it can be used as an alternative to the traditional currency.
Important Points to Understand Bitcoin:
- Bitcoin transactions are stored in public ledger called Blockchain. These transactions are recorded online and anyone with the access to Blockchain can view them. Thus, making the process more transparent. The transparency also drives new interest to the economy and results in the downfall of illegal use of the currency, such as drug ring.
- Saying that Bitcoin is more than just a currency makes perfect sense. Unlike traditional currency, it can be transferred from one country to another without any legal obligations. It dissolves the global barriers and frees currency from the control of federal governments. However, the value of Bitcoin is still dependent on the U.S. dollar.
- Bitcoin is an open source software and the technology used in Bitcoin is quite interesting. The currency works under the laws of mathematics and is overseen by a group of highly skilled professionals. The software can run on thousands of machines simultaneously, operating in different parts of world – making it one of the unique programs out there.
- Bitcoin was created and released onto the internet 8 years ago by an anonymous programmer called “Satoshi Nakamoto”. The software is designed to run on multiple machines – called bitcoin miner – simultaneously. These machines can be accessed and operated by anyone on the planet with the basic understanding of a PC.
- Bitcoin miners are used to generate new coins and are designed to mine no more than 21 million coins before the year 2140. These machines enable the coins to slowly expand and encourage the Bitcoin miners to keep the system growing.
- When new coins are generated, they are given to the miners. The miners keep track of all the bitcoin transactions and add them to the Blockchain ledger. In exchange, they are rewarded with a few extra bitcoins. The currency reward limit currently stands at 25 bitcoins, which is paid out to the world’s miners about six times per hour. Those rates can change over time.
These are some facts that make Bitcoin unique in comparison to other currencies out there. Taking everything into account, bitcoin pushes the limits of innovation. Much like PayPal in its outset. However, the marketplace will have to decide if the risks related to Bitcoin and payment system make good sense in a longer run.